Front of House
- New York, NY
- Part Time
- Front of House
- Entry Level
Front of House Staff
About New York Theatre Workshop:
Since our founding in 1979 by Stephen Graham, New York Theatre Workshop (NYTW) has fostered a community of adventurous audiences and visionary theatremakers, bringing them together to deepen our shared understanding of the world around us. We nurture pioneering new writers like Jeremy O. Harris and Celine Song and bring them into conversation with powerhouse playwrights like Ayad Akhtar and Amy Herzog. We empower inimitable auteurs like Rachel Chavkin and Lileana Blain-Cruz and lift up emerging directors like Awoye Timpo and Sammi Cannold.
We continue to maintain decades-long commitments to artists like Caryl Churchill and Dael Orlandersmith, who have shaped our very understanding of what theatre can be. Our productions have reached hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers, and the work we’ve nurtured has gone on to move millions more uptown and around the world. Seven of our productions have transferred to Broadway, and in 2019, our work was honored with 16 Tony Award nominations— including 8 Tonys for Best Musical winner HADESTOWN—and Heidi Schreck was a Pulitzer finalist for WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME. In 2020, SLAVE PLAY garnered the most Tony nominations for a play—the most in Broadway history! Our work has been recognized with a Pulitzer Prize and numerous Tony, Obie, and Drama Desk Awards, along with the Lilly Award for our decades-long commitment to gender equality. But that’s not what we’re proudest of.
We take the greatest satisfaction from the community we’ve built, and the perspective‐shifting experiences we’ve delivered along the way. Even in the middle of a global pandemic, our community has continued to deepen existing connections and expand into new ones. From calls to check in on each other to grants for our artists to brand new education programming, our staff, Board, artists, and audiences have shared in more than 175 virtual events attended by nearly 100,000 since the pandemic began. We are also thrilled to have returned to E. 4th Street and are in the midst of producing our third in-person show of this season. We all think that theatre can bring people together, change the conversation, and have a profound impact. We feel fortunate to get to support it. If that sounds like something you’re interested in too, we’d love to meet you.
About the Position:
- Welcomes audience members into the theatre and scans tickets and vaccination passes, as applicable
- Manages lobby and bathroom traffic while serving as a friendly face for audience members seeking assistance or basic support before and during performances.
- Supports House Manager and Box Office Staff in ensuring the comfort and safety of audiences before, during, and after performances.
- Executes post-performance walkthrough of the house for programs, light trash pick-up, and lost items
- Maintains a working knowledge and interest in NYTW’s productions.
- You are committed to an equitable and inclusive community.
- You have outstanding patience, customer service, and interpersonal skills, and feel comfortable talking to anyone.
- You work well under pressure, multitask, and demonstrate superb attention to detail.
- You can work independently or as part of a team and you demonstrate confidence in problem-solving.
- You communicate in a clear, professional manner.
- You have a passion for theatre.
- You have previous front-of-house or customer service experience.
with compensation at $16/hour for an average of 10-15 hours/week. This position is in-person and onsite. Training will take place in late January 2022, with the first shift scheduled in February 2022.
Employees must be fully-vaccinated (as defined by the CDC). If you require medical or religious accommodation please email our HR Manager, Ygor Monteiro at YgorM@ntyw.org.